Posts tagged #from-blosxom
These posts are from version 1.0 of mahnamahna.net, when the site’s blog was powered by Blosxom. Everything here dates to 2010 and earlier. Expect broken links, and in a few cases, broken/missing site functionality.
I have wanted a laser printer for some time. Inkjet printers—well, modern inkjet printers*—suck all kinds of ass, unless you print regularly. If you don’t, the ink doesn’t flow right when you fire it up after three months, and you print eighteen hideous pages before you get a clean one. I have had this problem with Epsons and Canons, and I’ve been told that Lexmarks and HPs are no better. You either … read full post »
Well, no. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Sorry. “First, a lot of those losing Republican incumbents will immediately move down K Street and become lobbyists,” Carroll says. “They will make substantially more money, and they will get to do essentially the same job: they will write the laws that govern our nation.” I tell you, they may try, but they’re going to be fighting a hard uphill battle. Nancy Pelosi has the destruction of the Republicans’ K Street Machine … read full post »
“I thought we were going to do fine yesterday. Shows what I know.”
— President George W. Bush, speaking of yesterday’s midterm elections in a press conference earlier today
I haven’t been this hopeful on Election Day in a long time. Let’s hope this day is the turning point we’ve been waiting for. Power to the people!
Enter YamiPod, which seems cool enough to perhaps make me an iPod owner someday. This app lives on your iPod, and runs under OS X, Windows, and Linux. It seems to let you freely copy music to and from your iPod to any computer. Can one of my iPod-using homies give this a look-see and tell me if it’s as cool as I think it is?
The bulldog I met at the laundromat.
(Double-post today to make up for a busy, postless Saturday. Have I destroyed my NaBloPoMo mojo?)
SOLUTION: The Aux2Car from Peripheral Electronics. You purchase this sucker, plus a customized harness that connects it to the head unit in your particular vehicle. As far as your car stereo is concerned, this sucker is a CD changer, but of course, it’s not. It just talks to whatever device you plug into it.
The whole shebang cost me about a hundred bucks (great prices on eBay…), and it took about an hour to install. The installation procedure includes the setting of DIP switches, which I hadn’t encountered for … read full post »
Will you join us? Commit in the comments.
(UPDATE: Wow, I didn’t know this, but apparently Penn and Teller did a whole episode of their Bullshit! TV program on how the Scouts have effectively been turned into an arm of the Mormon church over the past few decades. I’m gonna have to watch this. The story is well-known to many who have been involved in Scouting during the time period, but it’s a story the mainstream media won’t touch with a ten foot pole. UPDATE 2: Turns out it’s not a merit badge in the original story; it’s an activity badge. The distinction is important, but I shan’t bore non-Scouters with the details.)
- ITEM: “The wave” that sports event crowds do — a Bay Area creation?
- ITEM: Supreme Court lets stand California ruling that municipalities may respond to the discriminatory ways of the Boy Scouts of America (covered previously)
- ITEM: “Results-Only Work Environment” — corporate speak for compassionate employment? (I need a ROWE job!)
- ITEM: Correlation is not causation, yadda yadda, but: Does TV trigger autism?
- ITEM: Neat! the_lucky_duck compares Scorsese’s The Departed with Infernal Affairs (the Hong Kong flick that inspired it)
Colorado Division of Wildlife officers were called to a school near Boulder on Tuesday to deal with a drunk and disorderly, bear. The wobbly bear was spotted in a neighborhood in Lyons, near Boulder, and she was having a hard time walking. Officers said the bear was probably drunk from eating fermented apples.With video (!), so you can see for yourself: This bear was wasted!
The word I’ve been using to describe my third Burn is “transcendent.” I am still feeling the playa’s effects; I am still discerning the meaning of all I encountered and experienced; I am still in a state of flux. It is mostly a happy, happy feeling.
- ITEM: The neatest photograph you’ll see on the Web today.
- ITEM: “American Buddhism on the rise” sez the Christian Science Monitor.
- ITEM: It made me cry: Brother-sister Holocaust survivors find each other after 65 years. (Thanks, KW!)
- ITEM: A good take on the disgusting torture debate in Washington. “Who would Jesus attack with dogs?”
- ITEM: Heard on the radio this morning: A rockin’, twangy country remake of Snoop Dogg’s “Gin and Juice” by The Gourds. (Thanks, KALX!)
- ITEM: The Knack is suing Run DMC for sampling “My Sharona” in “It’s Tricky”—20 years ago.
- ITEM: I don’t remember this at all: The original video for “It’s Tricky” features Penn and Teller!